Zapolya´s Palace

Zápoľský´s PalaceThe latest palace of Trenčín castle is named "Zápoľský´s" Palace. It was built by the wife of Štefan (Stephen) Zápoľský, Hedviga of Teszin at the beginning of 16th century. This three-storeyd edifice has since 1994 been keeping inside the widest exposition of the Castle.

The Illeshazy family gallery and the picture exposition from Illeshazies´ residences include at present time 94 pictures, located in both Palace´s upper floors. The displayed paintings include periods of the end of 16th century till the first third of 19th century. During different epochs they were gradually placed inside the three Illeshazies´ residences: The Castle of Trenčín, Dubnica nad Váhom (the mansion house) and Rohovce (the mansion house).

The family of Illeshazy came from the Žitný ("Rye") Island. Štefan Illeshazy I, the progenitor of Trenčín kin, had obtained the Castle in 1594 with the honour of capital & inheritable countyman of Trenčín district. He would perform the appointment of Liptovian countyman, at the same time. The family had been holding the estate till 1834. The Illeshazies were famous as the maecenases of art and education. A Slovak polyhistorian Matej Bell entitled them "Lovers of Language Slovak" and the parson Ján Baltazár Magin from Dubnica dedicated to Jozef Illeshazy (quondam family´s head) his Apology of Trenčín County´s positions. The Illeshazies were in its way allied to many significant noble families of Austria-Hungary (e.g. Palffies, Esterhazies, Séchies, Abensbergs and other ones). The last member of the family, Štefan Illeshazy II, died in 1838.

The Museum of Trenčín had acquired the Illeshazy picture collection during 1942 - 1952. The paintings were conserved nearly late. Since their restoration has been running and that requires expenses of millions. It is, however, important to say that the most substantial part of the collection has already been restored and that is why it can be shown to the public.

The exposition is divided into several style circles. On the first storey a visitor may see portraits of Illeshazies themselves and the families allied and friendly. The oldest portrait (of Krupina captain Ján Krušič from Lipoglava) is dated to 1580 (the era of Renaissance). A big visitors´ attention is roused by a portrait of "Slovak saint woman" Žofia Bošňáková.